“We do what we must, and call it by the best names.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have no idea why I picked that Emerson quote for the title of this posting except that I used "What's in a name?" for another posting on e-mail names. Okay, cut to the chase Streety. I remember as a kid going to the movies and when the opening credits did something cool with the studio's logo, it was going to be a good movie. One of the earliest movies I remember doing this is "Cannonball Run" where a car raced up the 20th Century Fox logo and crashed into it. Or the Columbia torch lady:


Probably the most famous is the Indiana Jones Trilogy where Speilberg transitioned the Paramount logo into a real mountain in each of the three movies (and a groundhog mound in the fourth but we won't talk about that):


What does this have to do with anything? Well, I was surfing for an old RKO Pictures logo for an idea I had and I stumbled across this great, little site called, http://www.closinglogos.com
Now everyone knows how important the company logo is as the cornerstone of building a brand but EA gaming has taken it to another level. I worked with EA for about 3 years and I remember how you could almost guess what the game was about just by looking at the logo on the promotional materials. I put the logos into a little movie for you (actually, for myself but I thought I'd be nice and share) and I absolutely love the way each logo is distinctively EA with it's same two letter and circle shape but how they each tell an entire story at the opening of the game, just like the old movies.





Comments

  1. As a follow up to the opening logos, I found the ending titles on Veer's RSS feed. Remember when movies used to actually end? I love this stuff:

    http://annyas.com/screenshots/the-end-titles-warner-bros/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts